Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Tears of Joy... Thoughts from Holley Car Brader and Lady Diesel

Holley Car Brader: Sadly, my time with San Diego Roller Derby is coming to an end as my husband and I will be moving back to Ohio next week. I am sad to have to leave my teammates so soon, especially with our much anticipated season opener January 23 only a few weeks away.

Lady Diesel: When Holley announced to the team that her and her husband where going to be moving away, being that I am the team captain, looked at the upcoming home schedule, and decided there was no way I wanted to lose one of our strongest players. She helped us get to where we are today and we need Holley when we go up against the ladies of the OC Rollergirls.

Holley Car Brader: My time with San Diego Roller Derby started on a Tuesday night when a couple of the ladies came over to me during an Adult Night skate session at Skateworld. They took a chance on me and this past year, skating with the team, has been unforgettable. During this year our team has grown to be a group of dedicated, close-knit sisters. Skating with these girls has become such an important part of my life. Every woman on this team has helped shape me into the skater that I am today.

Lady Diesel: There she was, skating with a friend, when we so rudely interrupted and invited her to the next practice. Little did any of us know what an asset she was going to be to our league. Holley’s passion and dedication to learning the sport has been a positive influence to the team.

Holley Car Brader: During this year’s holiday gift exchange was a heartfelt look back at how our team has flourished. I was brought to tears by the gift in my stocking from these ladies... a plane ticket back to San Diego so that I can play in our first home bout! I am truly blessed to have such a classy group of ladies in my life.
Lady Diesel:I think the letter read something like this…. “Pack your bags; we cannot imagine playing our first home game without you.”

Saturday, January 23, 2010 roller derby will be back in action at Skateworld! This is the debut home season for San Diego Roller Derby’s Starlettes and we are excited to play in front of our fans, friends, and family. Playing our 2009 season on the road was a true test to our dedication and hard-work. With the support of our coaches, Skateworld, husbands, and significant others, we have trained hard, driven all over Southern California, broken some bones, shed some tears, worn snuggies during pre-game time, taken oxygen at half-time, survived being ejected from a bout, played with and against the lovely ladies of Disaster City, and even lost some money in Las Vegas. Even with all the memories from the 2009 season, nothing will compare to playing at our home rink, in front of our fans.

Come watch YOUR Starlettes take on the Psycho Ex-Girlfriends of the OC Rollergirls. January 23, 2010, doors open at 5:00PM and the action starts at 5:30PM. Want to get your tickets in advance? Stop by Skateworld and you can purchase them there Mon-Fri 10 am-5 pm, or weekends during their open skating sessions. You can also get 'em from any SDRD member - just ask us! We hope you will join us on the 23rd - and don't forget about the "After Party"! We'll be headin' over to Victor's Cocktail Lounge for some food & drinks after the bout! We hope to see you there!